|C.N. James Trading Post, built 1868|
C.N. James was one of the original incorporators of the town of Augusta in 1871. He was then appointed as one of the trustees of the newly formed Township of Augusta. He also served as first mayor of Augusta. His other duties included serving as clerk of the District Court of Butler County 1875-1882, and a year as superintendent of public education for Butler County in 1876. Skyways.
The city of Augusta took its name from the wife of C.N. James.
Today the trading post still stands at 3rd and State Street, next to the Augusta Historical Museum.