This is bridge #1 on the Tour Butler County Kansas day tour.
This double arch bridge spans Turkey Creek in Spring Township of Butler County. It is located six miles south of El Dorado off of Haverhill Road to the east. From Wichita, drive east on Kellogg (Highway 54/400), past Augusta, then turn north on Haverhill Rd.. At 60th and Haverhill, go east one mile until you come to Turkey Creek.
One of two double arch bridges left in Butler County, the bridge was built by C.C. Jamison in 1912. The arches are 20 and 30 feet in width. Turkey Creek joins up with Walnut River about two miles to the west.
|One mile east of Haverhill on 60th St. (January 2013)|
|60th street off Haverhill rd., December 2013|
|60th st. bridge viewed from the east side|
From a History of Butler County, Kansas by Vol. P. Mooney, 1916, pages 568 and 569. (Skyways has a shortened transcription online.)
C. C. Jamison began his career as a contractor and builder when he was about twenty-four years of age, his first work being a forty foot stone arch bridge, across Dry Creek, between Bruno and Augusta. [Near Santa Fe Lake.] Prior to this he had superintended the construction of the electric light building at El Dorado. Among the most important works that Mr. Jamison has done as a contractor and builder are the following: A forty foot stone arch bridge, one mile west of Latham; the piers for the iron bridge across the Walnut at Augusta: a thirty-six foot stone arch bridge, in Bruno township; a thirty-six foot stone arch bridge, across Hickory creek, near Leon; a thirty-six foot stone arch bridge in Chelsea township, near Chelsea; a thirty foot stone arch bridge at Brainard; and a thirty foot stone arch bridge, across Turkey creek, five miles south of El Dorado. Mr. Jamison has probably built about fifty county bridges in Butler county, and 200 township bridges.For a complete listing of the Stone Bridges of Butler County, go to Tour Butler County. This is bridge #1 on their list.
From A Standard Atlas of Butler County, by George A. Ogle, 1905. KansasMemory. Note that the road before the bridge veered around Turkey Creek to the north. Turn south on Walnut River Road, and you will come to another stone bridge, also built by C.C. Jamison (1910).
|Portion of Spring Township, road to bridge in red.|